Sunday, February 11, 2007

Travel Motto #4: If you see one Chinatown, you've seen them all

In the early morning, I headed off to Chinatown. Being that it was nearing Chinese New Year, I heard Chinatown was the place to go. Well, not in the morning; there was nothing to see. However, it was nice to see what it looked like without the crowds. One thing I discovered: all the Chinatowns in the world look like the same. Granted, that I haven't seen all of the Chinatowns in the world, but the ones that I have seen (San Francisco, Manila, Vancouver, Seattle, New York, and Singapore), they all look the same.

I headed back to the MRT station and ended up in Plaza Singapura (Dhoby Ghaut Station). Big mistake. In the basement level, there is a store called TS, where they sell Korean drama DVDs. They had everything (Malaysia versions)! I ended up exchanging more money so I could buy "My Girl." I only had three reasons: Lee Dong Wook.

For lunch, I ate dimsum at Wisma Atria, thinking that it would be cheaper, but I was wrong. SGD7.50 for two rounds of ha kao. Boo!

On my way back to the hotel, I passed by Ngee Ann City, where I spotted the Sunday gathering of Filipino OFWs. I thought that only happened in Hong Kong pero pati sa Singapore pala. I just thought it was very sosyal of them to congregate at Ngee Ann. HeHe.

At 3PM, I met up with Kandi, Irene's co-worker, and headed to Sentosa. We rode the cable car, went to Underwater World/Dolphin Lagoon, and watched the show. If you're going to Singapore, Sentosa is not to be missed. It's truly Uniquely Singapore (I thought the zoos weren't unique so I didn't bother to go to Singapore Zoo/Night Safari.)

We grabbed a quick dinner and headed to Chinatown with Irene at 10PM. What a huge contrast from that morning: Ang daming tao! Siksikan! And so many Chinese goods for sale!

We got home past 11PM and that was another thing to love about Singapore: so safe to be out and about regardless of the time of day. Hindi katulad dito sa Manila, kahit in broad daylight, nakakapit ka sa bag mo. Tsk!

No comments:

Post a Comment