While shopping this weekend, I also returned three Coach bags that totaled $200 (forgive me, I had a moment of weakness during the after-Christmas sales). Having those bags while I watched footages of Haiti just didn't feel right so back to the store they went.
I want to add "be part of a disaster relief mission" in my imaginary things-to-do-before-I-die list. I know in order to be one of those volunteers, you have to have a certain skills set and I don't really know where my marketing/graphic design/web design skills fit into that. ;P
Eventhough I lived in the Philippines, I don't really know what it means to be poor or to have nothing. I went to a private school and was never really exposed to poverty. Sure, I saw poor people, but I couldn't say that I knew what they went through on a daily basis. Even when I went back in 2002, I lived in an all-expenses-paid house and in 2006, I earned enough to live in a high-rise condo. When friends came over and saw our ancestral house in San Mateo, their eyes would light up and say how it was like a resort. Having grown up and spent time there every Sunday, it was just the norm for me. When we moved to the US, the transition from life there to here was smooth; there wasn't this huge leap that I had to go through and struggle with. And having this background I think is what pulls me to want to experience things that would fill that void of knowledge regarding being poor. Does that make sense? Normal ba ito? ;P
As I get older, I realize that I want to live a life full of compassion, to be able to give even when I know that I won't get anything in return, to be able to make a difference without a spotlight or headline associated with it. Gusto kong maging...politician's wife. HaHa! Kidding! I hope that God will continue to give me opportunities to "broaden my horizons". Sana si future papa ganyan din (at talagang humirit pa).
No comments:
Post a Comment