Saturday, April 8, 2006

Speaking from Experience

Ninang and Ralph left today for a six-week U.S. vacation including one week in Seattle. As we agreed to when I didn't leave for Seattle at the end of January, I would've left with them had I not gotten a job by now. Do I wish that I am on that plane with them?

I had been thinking about Seattle a lot since end of January. I was thinking of its comfortable weather, my bed, my car, hot water, its convenient lifestyle, my nephews and nieces, my mom's cooking, but somehow they're not enough to get me on a plane just yet. As Kuya Ernie once told me, "Come back when you're ready."

Have things been easy? No way. I can't deny all the near-tears experiences I've had in the last few months. I can't deny that I always wish I have here in Manila the things I have in Seattle just so that life would be a little easier.

So why am I still here? Because I'm learning so much about myself, about my parents, about life in general. I can't wait until my next birthday so that I could list all the things I learned just in the last year. Being here has also made me appreciate why my parents (and other immigrants) bring their kids to the U.S. for a better life-a privileged life that I have taken for granted in all these years. Also, by doing the things that Filipinos here do, I have gained a better understanding of my people. Okay, that sounds so cheesy, but it's so true. I was telling Zara the other day how horrible the VAT is because it makes everything so expensive. Imagine, I'm complaining about VAT when I used to complain about the rallyistas on TV protesting about it. HaHa!

What would I say to people wanting to do what I have done so far (*ahem Jo Anne)? I say go for it. Do what you've always wanted to do. Get it out of your system. There's no doubt in my mind that you'll come out a better person at the end. Just don't tell your parents that I told you to do so. HaHa!

3 comments:

  1. there is nothing Nothing NOTHING i wouldn't do to be where you are right now.

    i'm leaving my bubble in two days. it is infinitely sad but it is also a step closer to where i want to be.

    it is amazing how life works talaga. i remember chancing upon your blog way way way back then without realizing you would be one of the people who would remind me how sweet and necessary pursuing my dream is. SALAMAT, Mina. Maraming Salamat. [naks! hehehe...]

    hope you're enjoying your job as much as i'm hating writing bibliographies right now.

    ingat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Housewarming??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo Anne: Idol mo na ba ako?! HaHa! I don't think you need me to realize how important it is to pursue your dream. I think you yourself know it and my only purpose was to keep your spirits up. =) Someone told me that it's the journey that matters most and not the destination. Keep that in mind because even if we don't get to the destination that we want exactly, the journey makes everything worthwhile. =) Ay pucha, group hug nga. LoL.

    And yes, bibliographies suck...but that's part of the journey eh. LoL.

    Neighbor: Warm na yung place; kailangan ko electric fan! LoL. I went to SM today, pucha, mga P800 din pala ang electric fan. How I wish payday na!

    ReplyDelete