6:30 a.m. - Woke up
7:35 a.m. - Left the house/rode the jeep
7:45 a.m. - Arrived FX Terminal
8:05 a.m. - Left FX Terminal
9:05 a.m. - Arrived Meralco Ave./Hauled ass to J.Vargas Ave.
9:15 a.m. - Arrived office, sweaty and late
First realization: I'm not in Seattle: I don't have a car to just pull out of the driveway and drive to work in; I can't predict what time I'll get to a given place; Manila's weather ain't for walking (I swear, I can't understand that concept. HaHa!).
9:45 a.m. - I got introduced as a Fil-Am. Ugh! I hate the title. I just want to be known as a regular Filipino. Though, according to the Bureau of Immigration I'm a foreign national slash alien in the Philippines.
While I got introduced as such, my male co-workers (Note to self: the Manila term is "officemates") introduced themselves using their name and civil status as adviced by a female co-worker...and so they did!
Second realization: I think my "pagkasawi" is so strong now that people can detect it a million miles away. HaHa!
10:00 a.m. - Start of orientation, ie. workload begins now.
Third realization: Office workers are spoiled in the States. I can't remember a job wherein I couldn't just go to a cupboard and grab pens, highlighters, paper, paperclips, and everything I needed in order to work productively in an office. At my new office, I was using my own pen and felt demanding when I had to ask for a pad of paper to take notes in. I miss office supply rooms!
Fourth realization: Hello Dilbert Life! I've never had a cubicle ever. Partitions galore, oh my! LoL. Though, at the office, they're blue (my favorite color!) and clean.
12:00 p.m. - Lunch at the seventh floor cafeteria
Fifth realization: I would rather brave the heat and walk to Jollibee any day. HaHa!
1:00 p.m. - E-mail and Lotus Notes are still not set-up yet
Sixth realization: I miss Mike and his murse (man purse) over at the City of T, Lisa!
2:00 p.m. - Roy complains that I'm quiet
Seventh realization: Man, I *am* quiet at work! Do my friends know this?! LoL.
3:00 p.m. - Ramil suggests for me to take a break.
Eight realization: I love the Philippines! I love how co-workers care about eachother...regarding eating. HaHa! No, seriously, this was something I found out and cherished when I interned in the Philippines in 2002.
4:00 p.m. - I called Department of Labor and Employment
Ninth realization: Just when I thought I was over the hurdles, here I go again. I need my certification letter, guys! If the Bureau of Immigration did their thang to make me happy, can I expect you to do the same soon? My sanity is now in your hands.
5:00 p.m. - "Jun, where's the FX terminal to San Mateo?"
Tenth realization: This is where it has been all this time?! I could've saved so many gallons of sweat at the MRT station last year had I known about this! God is good.
6:00 p.m. - Rode FX back to San Mateo
7:00 p.m. - Bought a pizza to bring home to Manang Luz and Manang Tess...they didn't eat a single bite, though. They suggested that I eat the rest for breakfast instead. *Sniff. But I wanted to celebrate!
hey! finally :) where do you work? i just left my job :)
ReplyDeletewow mina, manila working gurl! i'm sooo happy for you.
ReplyDeleteplease, stop walking everywhere. hehe :-)
welcome to the world of a working girl in Manila. LOL Congrats! I agree with you that officemates care for each other there. Though walking is a good exercise, dont do it often. Your legs will hate you! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteto win is to risk. glad it finally paid off. congrats!!!
ReplyDeleteTeka lang, friends. It's not official yet: Dept. of Labor hasn't produced me my certification letter that I badly need. Keep praying, please!
ReplyDelete