Last night, a couple of my co-workers took me out for dinner and cake. My birthday. Their treat. Gotta love these kinds of people. HaHa!
Anyway, Ate Jen asked, "So, what's your birthday wish?" Other people have asked the same question, but I've never given them a straight answer.
These days, I don't believe in wishing for things anymore. It's all about doing. The biggest lesson I learned this past year is that if you want something, do it; work hard for it; make it happen. The status of our lives is truly up to us. Not happy about who you're with or what you have? Do something about it. Don't just wish for things to turn out well; make it turn out well.
And it's the same principle that I'm currently applying to my *cough lovelife. It's all about taking action. Don't just sit idle and wait for a guy to trip in front of you; actually trip the guy! Kidding! HaHa! In my case, it's more of "broadening the search" than "shortening the list." Regardless, both include taking action.
So this year, no birthday wishes, but birthday goals instead. And what are they?
The last year was more for establishing myself: getting a job, getting a roof over my head, getting a core group of friends. This year is more of experiencing what it's truly like living here in Manila day-to-day. I need to put back all these little things in my life to make it a well-rounded one. Mainly,
1. Volunteering
My last stint was back in January 2000; six whole years ago! Although my job now allows me to give back to the world, it's still different to give time to a worthy cause in my spare time. I just hope that I can manage getting around to where I need to be without my Baby (my car).
2. Improving my health
I don't think I'll go back to hiphop dancing while in this country (in the words of an Assumptionista, "It's so mahal e!"), but I'm going to try a new sport for exercise. I plan to do it every morning before I go to work. The problem? I love sleep more than exercise in the morning so I need some major peptalk before September rolls around. HeHe.
3. Traveling
I don't know why I want to see everything now. But I do know that while I'm here on this side of the world, I might as well take advantage of the close proximity to the major cities/countries that I want to see. The time is now. No kids to feed, no mortgages to pay. The time is really now.
So, there you have it. I know what you're thinking already. The birthday greetings via text and e-mail all had subtle hints regarding what everyone wishes for me this year and now it's not even one of my goals. Oh my. Let me explain briefly.
If he's truly the guy for me, I figured I'll meet him along the way. I'll meet him while I'm doing the goals that I have listed above. That's my mentality for the year. We'll try it out and see what I come up with. My heart is wiped clean and I'm smarter this year; I know what I want and I know how to trip. No worries; just happy thoughts for the coming year.
Might I suggest if you're ever on the slopes, instead of a trip, just race on over and tackle the guy. Then feign losing control boarding down the slopes. Just make sure you don't clean the guy out with a clothesline. Great way to meet people. ;)
ReplyDeleteRick: I take it that you've tried this before and it has worked, right? HeHe. And what's up with your Friendster profile declaring that you're single again? Dood, stop dating for six months, I told you this already!
ReplyDeleteActually I can't pull that off because believe it or not, I can't lie that well. But I sure do wish somebody would do that to me!
ReplyDeleteand 6 months? You might as well tell me to get a vasectomy!!
Get thy vasectomy! HaHa!
ReplyDelete