I was watching Inside the Actor's Studio with DaveChappelle a few weeks ago (a rerun episode) and he said something that totally resonated with me: "It seemed like the richer I got, the less happy I was and I wasn't sure if I wanted that."
And it's not necessarily the amount of money that resonated with me, but everything that went with the money like the job title...and the stress...and how you have less time for everything else.
Recently, I thought about getting my MBA and then I stopped myself. Do I really want to get into those upper-level management jobs someday? The answer was no.
I don't know if I've become less ambitious with these kinds of thoughts in my head, but I guess working with/around people who are in those higher-up positions have made me turn away from such goals. These are people who barely saw their families, go to work at 4AM, lost their hair from all the stress, etc. Eww, I say.
I do wonder if people who do no-brainer jobs are the happiest people around. Someone enlighten me.
Ever heard of the story of the 5 balls?
ReplyDeleteLife is a game you are juggling five balls - work, health, family, friends and integrity
Your job is to keep all the ball in the air.
But one day, you'll find out that the work ball is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back.
But, the other 4 balls are made of glass.
If you drop one of these, it will irrevocably scuffed, nicked perhaps shattered...
I don't believe that the work ball is a complete rubber ball. Because believe it or not, if you drop it, it will never be the same. Once people hear that you have dropped the work ball, it will be remembered. It's sad but true. When they say that happiness is about balance, I say happiness is about priorities. Do what makes you happy. And that does not necessarily mean that people who are more into work are less happy than people who seem to have a more balanced life. Life is about choices anyway.
Ang serious, parang di ako!
there is always a trade-off for everything. the bottom line is: what is it that you want in life.
ReplyDeletetama si jen: life is about choices.
I do wonder if people who do no-brainer jobs are the happiest people around. Someone enlighten me. <--- you know i'm not the happiest girl out there :P
ReplyDelete*reads jen's post* ang seryosos mo jen but that IS true =)
Mama Jen: I thought it wasn't going to be a serious comment, thanks to the "5 balls" opening. ;P
ReplyDeleteTwin: You're doing a no-brainer job?!p3ntas