Since 2004, Korean television shows to me mean Korean dramas like FullHouse, MyGirl, and MyLovelySam-soon. But after almost five years of English-subtitle-reading marathons, I'm now addicted to a new Korean show called FamilyOuting.
"Residents from the countryside are picked and given a free vacation for one night and two days. During this time, the [cast] and various additional guests form a 'family' and look after their house, experiencing the lives of these people. They must complete different chores and jobs, and play fun & hilarious games while they're at it."
And the show is hilarious indeed. So hilarious that I've found myself spending the weekends catching up on episodes (YouTube rocks!) and laughing out loud like a lunatic.
See, this is why I dig Korean TV shows more than Filipino TV shows: they're so original. While Philippine TV networks pride themselves in bringing home localized versions of foreign TV shows (like PinoyFactor, BigBrother, and Tagalized versions of Korean dramas), Korean TV networks seem to always think outside the box. I mean, take the concept for FamilyOuting. Who in the Philippines would've thought of bringing eight celebrities together, sending them off to the countryside for the weekend every week, and having them do chores that they wouldn't normally do on a regular basis? Genius. Add in a philanthropic spin to it and voila: one can't help but find meaning amongst all the craziness that goes into the show.
Pilipinas, get with the program and quit making foreign production companies richer. If you're really serious about all this network rivalry that's been going on forever, then do something about the quality and originality of your shows. Otherwise, I might be stuck in Korean TV land for a little while longer.
No comments:
Post a Comment