Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Say It Like This

A couple of people have told me to work for a call center once I get to Manila just because it's an easy job to get and the pay is good. Have people forgotten that I'm too idealistic for such a thing?! That is not my goal in my "Balikbayan Trail" adventures, people! Tarush! HeHe. Seriously though, if my "shallow" goal is to just have enough money to be able to eat out every weekend with my cousins, then maybe getting a job at a call center would do the trick. However, I seriously would pack my bags and go back to Seattle if I have to go through those "Hooked on Phonics" training sessions that I saw on Special Assignment tonight. Hindi ko kinaya ang mga nakita ko! LoL.

I even raised an eyebrow on a couple of occasions, mainly on the topic of speaking without accents. I'm sorry, but mas mataray pang mag-ingles yung isang na-interview kesa sa akin na lumaki dito. LoL. I understand that there are Filipinos with strong accents out there. However, I'd like to think that most Americans have interacted with other Americans who have strong accents and they have understood each other. I'd also like to think that people of other races, who have their own accents, have succeeded well in this country despite having those accents. At the same time, as years pass, most Americans will know that call centers are based in India and the Philippines. Just the other week, I called AOL and knew very well that the woman I was talking to was based in India. My point is trying hard na yung emphasis sa "slang." Yes, it is important to make the employees more understandable over the phone. For someone who struggled with understanding her Chinese Quantitative Methods professor for two straight quarters at Seattle University, I completely understand. However, to twist and bend one's tongue for the simple goal of covering up one's ethnicity/nationality is just too absurd for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment