Saturday, March 17, 2007

Wanna Be Amazing Race

Let's just say that if I joined the Amazing Race and we ended up in Manila, I would be the first to cross the finish line. Guaranteed!

Phil: "In this detour, you are to acquire three Philippine history books at two locations for your eldest brother..."

One of my S.E. Asia travel mottos (as if I have many!) is to set out early. You get to avoid the crowds, the traffic, and most important of all, the heat. I woke up at 6AM, got to the MRT station at 7AM via a tricycle (P12) and rode it all the way to the Taft Avenue stop (P12). From there, I rode the LRT1 to Central Station (P15). I crossed the street in front of Lawton to the edge of Intramuros where a few pedicabs were waiting. The first pedicab driver wanted P25, but I wanted P20 (I figured he was giving me the tourist price, but really, I don't know the going rate for a person's pedaling power) so I kept walking. A few minutes later, another pedicab offered the ride for P20. It was a smooth ride until we neared Real Street; it was a bumpy ride from there due to the cobblestone road. Total expenses: P59.

Ahh, San Agustin Museum. I was here last June with Lilian when we explored Fort Santiago and Intramuros. But when we got here, there was a wedding so we didn't get to explore the church. At that time, I was also not aware that there was a museum. Well, I'm glad I came back.



I might have only spent P59 to get here, but I spent P3,500 on the book that my brother wanted me to get. Making the most of my purchase, I asked the security guard and the museum director if I could get in for free.

Museum Director: "Okay, pero hindi palagi ito ha."
Me: "Hindi naman po ako ulit bibili ng libro na P3,500 e. HeHe."

Total money saved: P80. I know, I know, it's not much, but hey, the best things in life are free and the museum lived up to that cliche.

The San Agustin Museum is the oldest church in the Philippines and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. While Singapore prides itself with "The largest" somethings, you'll often find that the tourist sites in the Philippines are "The oldest" somethings...and this is one of them.

While waiting for the security guard to write me an original receipt for the book, I looked around and saw a picture of "St. Augustine." Then, it clicked: San Agustin = St. Augustine. Crap. St. Augustine = the guy who wrote Confessions of St. Augustine = the book that I hated in my last Theology class in college because I couldn't understand any of it. Blasphemy!



Moving on, Mina, moving on, (literally and figuratively!) I walked around the museum. It's actually a monastery that was converted into a museum so it's huge (two floors and a garden. Cameras were not allowed in each room where most of displays were, so the only pictures I have are of the hallways and facade...which don't give the museum justice. You just have to see them yourself.


The place has a "Da Vinci Code" vibe to it thanks to the tomb of the founder of Manila, Miguel Lopez de Legaspi, inside the church itself (I actually wasn't so sure if we should be glorifying someone who made my ancestors lose their original religion and culture--whatever those may have been--but I'll just leave the rallys and marches to the U.P. Philippine history students should they feel the need to do so).



Also buried there is Juan Macias, the architect who built the church. And that's not all! Also buried there are the Zobels/Ayalas. They even have a property inside a church! Go figure.



There are also crypts in another section of the museum. Where these crypts are used to be the dining room of the priests. I would've picked another place to start building the crypts, thank you very much. If you're ever there, check out crypt #87: National Artist Juan Luna's. Yup, found that one on my own. I'm cool, I know.

On the second floor, you'll find the "the 68 choir seats carved in molave with fine inlays, the big lectern with cantorals, and the XVIII Century (that's 18th century for those who failed roman numerals in elementary school) pipe organ." The cantorals are huge song books with lyrics and notes for the choir. They were written on thick parchment paper and I feel bad for whoever had to write those back in the day. Just like when I jaywalked in Singapore, I also did something "bad" in the San Agustin Museum, I touched a cantoral...eventhough they specifically said outside to not touch anything. That's why I know they were written on "thick" parchment paper. HeHe.

You'll also find Fr. Blanco's Garden in the back of the museum. "Father Manuel Blanco, 'the prince of Botany,' pioneered in the study of medical plants in the Philippines." I was about to say that he must be rolling in his grave by now judging by the look of his garden in present day, but I stopped myself after remembering that he concentrated on medical plants and not landscape artistry. You'll know what I mean when you see the garden. ;P



After two hours in an un-air-conditioned building, I was ready to leave. I tried to find a pedicab, but none were to be found. I started walking towards Manila Cathedral and ended up flagging down a taxi. I should've known better. I spent P85 to get to UST, which should've only cost me P30 had I taken a pedicab and FX. Darn the heat for making me yearn for air-conditioning ASAP! Being my first time at the UST campus, I got off as soon as I saw the first part of the UST campus...which was on Lacson Street...instead of driving around and working the taxi meter.

It turns out that the UST Publishing Press is all the way across the campus on Espana Street. Had I taken an FX, I would've been dropped off right there! Say no to taxis when traveling!

Anyway, UST = University of Sto. Tomas = University of St. Thomas for you English-speaking folks = the oldest university in the country = my mom's alma mater.



Too bad that the first building I ended up at was where KFC, McDonald's, Hotshots, and other food joints were at; I lost any sort of historic vibe for the place. Ang arte! HeHe.

Ahh, lookie, looks like I'm in Europe somewhere. Work with me: the statues on top of the rooftops!



To the left, to the left... (a la Beyonce)



To the right, to the right... (a la Mina's corny joke)



Once I got to the UST Press bookstore, I snagged another two heavy books for my brother for P2550. Trying to get something for free again, I asked the woman at the bookstore if they had a free map of the campus so that I could look around. Unfortunately, all she could offer me were bookmarks which I gladly passed up. She actually said, "Oo nga, basura lang yan." Hey, she said it, I didn't. ;P

Making sure not to make the same mistake twice in a span of one hour, I hailed an FX to take me back to Lawton (P10), rode the LRT1 to the Edsa Station (P15), then MRT (P12), then tricycle (P6) to get home.

Phil: "Mina, you're the first to cross the finish line."

Woot.

2 comments:

  1. nice, historical tour - trip ko rin yan minsan.

    yeah - miss UST my alma mater. maganda yung ginawa nila in front of the main building na parang plaza na siya - it used to be parking space - now, feel mo nga europe ka, hehe.

    yung in front of UST hospital na commercial building, panira talaga yun, but the dominicans need the income yata, hehe - used to be green space where we had our P.E. class.

    hindi mo na nakita ang martyrs of nagasaki (san lorenzo included) in front of the central library-student center na yun, named after lucio tan's foundation. hinahanap nga yata ng mga preservationists saan napunta yung mga estatwa na yun (marble yata yun, basta mamahalin din ginamit doon)- sinlalaki yata yun ng mga statues sa tuktok ng main building (memorized ko names ng mga estatwa na yun before).

    i didn't enjoy san agustin last time - i was asst. wedding planner for a friends' wedding - tanda ko lang, nagtatakbo ako roon running errands and all,hehe. pero pag kinasal ako, considered san agustin as venue - invited ka, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bago pala yung plaza! Akala ko orig yun from nineteen-kopong-kopong days!

    Dapat sinama kita para ikaw ang naging tour guide ko. I was really hoping to go around the campus kaso malay ko kung ano meron. Maps, they need maps!

    Lynds, e sino naman ang groom kapag kinasal ka, hmmm? Basta ako, kapag nag-divorce si Papa A, hindi na ako magpapakipot! HaHa!

    ReplyDelete