To leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived
This is to have succeeded.
That is part of the Ralph Waldo Emerson poem that I received after finishing my one year stint as Freshman Council Treasurer. The year before, I wrote my personal statement for my college application; it contained what success meant to me. Both had the same sentiments.
In less than a month, the first quarter of my life will be over. Have I worked towards my definition of success? No and I am quite disappointed with myself.
It is easy to say to just do it ala Nike. It is easy to say listen to your heart. But when you're not accustomed to following both adages, it's hard. Couple that with two opposing goals in life, and you're in for a huge dilemma.
This upcoming trip will be an important one. What I do will dictate what the next quarter of my life will be like. It's time to listen to myself more and to be honest with myself. It's time to figure out "the little things in life." It's time to take those itsy bitsy steps towards happiness and a more fulfilling life that I can proud of.
No comments:
Post a Comment