Thursday, October 20, 2005

Kapamilya

I've been upset the last few days because it sounds like I'm still frontpage news in the family chismis circle. With some 24 direct titos and titas and some 40 first cousins in two countries and five states, no one wants to be the subject of everyone's attention especially if he/she has never been in the headlines before. Well, I felt better today when I read a forwarded e-mail:

E-mail from Tito to L.A. Girl Cousin
i heard you're getting married. is that true?

Cousin's reply to Tito
no way! i'm not getting married!

Cousin's e-mail to her sisters and me
oh my gosh! why was i not in on this plan!? all of a sudden one day i hear I'M getting married!

FYI, it's not L.A. Girl Cousin who's getting married, but her younger brother. Reading the e-mail (and laughing out loud about it) made me realize that the facts about my being here in Manila may have been twisted and turned more than once before they reached the recipients. Hence, I shouldn't really take all the strong opinions and violent reactions to heart.

Let me just say that I'm here for myself, to find myself, and to be a better person altogether. I didn't make this move to hurt anyone nor am I rebelling. I did this to be happy according to my own personal definition.

I've always done what was right in all of my life so trust me when I say that what I'm doing is "right" at this point in time. Yes, it may sound crazy, but I trust you that no mental hospital will admit me in case you feel the need to bring me to one. I'm not here to do anything wrong, but to do something good...for myself. For once in my life, I'd like to be selfish and take care of my needs. Let me have the six months if that's the maximum time I can have in this country. Let me have the six months with some peace of mind from being understood and supported.

No comments:

Post a Comment