It used to be so easy: you grab an application, fill it out, turn it in, and get hired on the spot. No heartbreaks, only instant gratification.
These days, you go through "phases" all drawn out to select the "best" candidate. You turn in a resume with a cover letter, go to numerous interviews, take an aptitude test, and maybe, just maybe, they will pick you because you did your best and you want the job bad, really bad.
I didn't get the job. The job that I had been salivating over since the end of May. The job that made me study Excel for two days just to make sure I remember how to do everything on a spreadsheet (I still don't get Pivot Tables). The job that would've allowed me to get a graphic design certificate for pennies. *SIGH.
Well, one of the things I learned how to do in the last two years is to live by the motto, "If it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be." The hiring manager also told me that it was a hard decision and it was so close that you could just flip a coin. I knew I did well on every single aspect and there were no regrets on my part. I take comfort in all of those, but it just stings a little since I had my heart set on this job.
Chin up, dear self, and move on. Go, fight, win on the next one.
(Is it just me or my career life is suddenly mirroring my love life? This is soooo not good. HaHa!)
Aww.. im so getting scared for grad--finding a job. oh well... life must go on. :D
ReplyDeleteOh dear, I have scared a college student from entering the real world. HeHe.
ReplyDeleteAhh, entry-level jobs are relatively easier to get into: each candidate has the same experience as you do (no experience). It's when you get into mid-career that gets tricky because your competition is with others who have skills/experience that you may not have...and that's when it sucks!
cheer up twinster.
ReplyDelete