Today was my last day at Job #2. It's been four years (six, if you count my volunteer days during high school) of working in a hospital, one and half years of working on the weekends, and one year of working seven days a week. It's not like I want to leave, so it's a bit sad that I have to.
In a nutshell, the place was kind to me. Working at a hospital has helped me see my life in a different light through the years. When you meet people on a weekly basis who have dying/ill loved ones, somehow one's flat hair or wide hips doesn't matter anymore. Personal problems? Compared to what these people are facing, they can't be that bad. Yes, as hard as it is for me to admit it, Calculus wasn't really that bad!
I also had great bosses. I have realized just in the last year that having immediate supervisors who are fair, compassionate, and great leaders is really something to be thankful for. These "mothers" have seen me grow up and just like my own mother, I'm having a hard time cutting that umbilical cord! (Ever had a boss who, instead of saying hi to you like normal people, played with your hair to convince you that you should spend half an hour in the morning styling your hair? Or, who would rather have you wear tighter fitting clothes in order to improve your lovelife? Like I said, I don't call them mothers for nothing!)
And yes, it was easy money. Those who have kept me company through AIM on the weekends know that I got paid to chat and surf the internet (except for eBay because it's blocked). I will miss those times when people in Manila stay up late to keep me company. HeHe!
But yes, bittersweet moments are such because they have a bitter side. In Oprah's April issue, she writes, "The ultimate in being healthy is to operate at full throttle-physically, emotionally, spiritually." I've lost interest in the things that I used to like because I had no time for them anymore. When you're tired, it's very easy not to care anymore.
There are also more fulfilling things to do in this world than sit on your butt for eight hours on the weekends waiting for time to pass by. Learning something new would be nice rather than continously doing mundane things. Money has limitations; time is priceless. My spiritual side has been jumpstarted. Hopefully, my physical and emotional side will get better now that I have free weekends (when I'm not flying to other places).
The time has come to erase the terms "Job #1" and "Job #2" from our vocabulary. I'm free! And as a parting gift, my bosses got me a Swiss Army watch to wish me luck in my new career. I told you guys they loved me! =)
No comments:
Post a Comment