Wednesday, April 6, 2005

Jetsetting without JET

Didn't I declare some months ago that I would have to decide on other things before I found out about my JET application? I swear, I amaze myself sometimes. =)

Well, after all the drama of finding a new career, after all the dust from the job hunting have settled, I finally got my JET letter today: I passed the interview with flying colors. I meant to blog about the interview way back in February when I went through it, but we were specifically told not to talk to anyone about the details. Well, two months later, I can now exercise my free speech.

It was one of the most horrific interviews I've ever had. At least, that's what I thought at the time. I was almost kicking myself by the time I left the consulate. Why? Because Sean was nice enough to write me these long e-mails about what to expect. Did I listen? Of course not.

He told me that they might ask what I would bring to Japan to show what America is like. Did I prepare for that question? No. He also told me that they might ask me to conduct a lesson right there and then. Did I practice at home for such a thing? No. Hence, I wanted to kick myself into oblivion. I was fine with the regular question-and-answer portion. But then, just when I thought the interview was over, they made me look behind me. And there it was: a whiteboard with some markers.

Now, I've tutored little rugrats before when I was in high school and college. Reading? No problem. Math? No problem. I'm also used to speaking in front of classes, complete with very professional-looking PowerPoint presentations. But actually drawing on a whiteboard while talking?! Never!

But I guess, I didn't do so bad afterall. Am I sad that I won't get to do JET? A little bit, but I can always re-apply in the coming years. I went to the interview for that very purpose: to go through the experience in order to be prepared for whenever I decide to pursue JET again. I hope that whoever takes my spot now will be grateful for the opportunity.

Now, where the heck am I going to get a Japanese boyfriend? ;P

No comments:

Post a Comment