Monday, February 27, 2006

Greetings Earthlings

I'd like to announce to the whole wide world that I am on my way to becoming an alien: the Bureau of Immigration now has my application for my ACR (insert cheers here). I know it's called a bureau, but I hope we can limit the bureaucracy. Two weeks sounds reasonable (more like wishful thinking), don't you think? Say nay to 2-3 months, please!

The ad agency in Cebu has also asked me to produce a work permit of some sort before they can let me work. Crap. If only all the companies in this country are as strict about paying their taxes as much as they are about employing aliens, then this country can go places. Yes, I'm bitter. HeHe!

I never regret the things that I've done, but I do learn from my mistakes. If I had been a little wiser in the beginning, this is how I would've done things differently:

Gone to Manila during January not July
Trying to find work during the latter half of a year is a waste of time. Though I had no choice since I wanted to be here for Zara's wedding. That was actually what propelled me to "take the plunge." Zara, should my parents blame you? LoL.

Processed my ACR right when I got here
Since processing such a thing required lots of money, I thought I should find a job first. Well, money cannot buy time. I should've made processing time more of a priority than the expense. This mistake is currently biting my butt big time.

Moved out of San Mateo right when I got here
You've all told me that. The boys have told me that. Even my cousins have told me that. Hey, for what it's worth, you've all helped Caltex, Petron, and Shell keep their businesses alive. You go! LoL.

Focused more on where I really want to work
I sorta did, I sorta didn't. It was only in January did I start targeting the places that I really want to work for. So now, it's not a matter of being rejected, it's now a matter of being legally able to work here. HeHe. Oh ACR, come hither!

After seven months, what can I say? It has been a wild ride. You cannot doubt that I've shed blood (a requirement for my ACR), sweat (riding the MRT), and tears (lots of it!) in the process. But you know what I've learned most about this experience? The meaning of true friendship. Super cheese, I know. But when the going got tough in the last two months, people proved to me that they will be there through the good and bad times. When I was desperate to find a job before the "end of January," Belle and Nonette stepped up and created a Gmail account for me and sent out my resumes on my behalf. When I needed a roof over my head, Tet and Ale tried to find an apartment for me. When I needed to cry, Zara went to the house to see me. When self-pitying went overboard, Raissa and Kats did their share of cheerleading through YM (or what I like to call the "Mina, you're in a better position than we are" talks. HeHe). When I needed light, Lisa threw words of wisdom and a job referral at me (all the way from Seattle, too!). When immigration became the issue, Tita Rosalyn came to the rescue (yeah, that rhymed!).

All I could ask for now is a happy ending. Not just for me, but for all these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment