Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Torn Between Two Places

I sort of have figured out the U.S. versus Philippines issue already. I've come this far and this close (what?) that I don't want to throw everything away, you know? I want to make this work.

What's the dilemma to tackle now? I have to figure out Manila versus Cebu. I got a job offer from an ad agency in Cebu. They interviewed me here in Manila and I took a creative test via e-mail. Today, while twiddling my thumbs waiting for my birth certificate at NSO, I got the job offer via text.

When I was trying to decide the U.S. versus Philippines issue last month, I didn't bother listing the pros and cons because I knew that my efforts would be futile since things were not so "easy" to list as pros and cons. For this Manila versus Cebu issue, let me try.

Pros:

Working for an ad agency
Since my Advertising class in college, I've always wanted to know what it was like to work for an ad agency. I've always been told that I was creative and witty (feeling!) and I've wondered if my skills can hold up in the grueling world of advertising. This can be the opportunity that I've been waiting for.

The ad agency is small and the leader in the Visayas region
I can learn a lot. Since this will be my first ad agency experience, I need and want to learn. I can't get that if I'm working for a huge ad agency.

Dealing with business owners themselves
Since they're mostly small to mid-size companies, I will be dealing directly with the business owners and not some person in the marketing or PR department. I can increase my contacts and I can learn about entrepreneurship!

I get to travel
Their clients are all from the Visayas and Mindanao regions. What a great opportunity for my WOW Philippines agenda! Then, on the weekends, getting some R&R is very easy since Cebu is in the middle of the country. Yeah, baby!

I like promdi guys
And by that I mean, simple guys, okay? LoL. And as Kuya Heinz has pointed out to me before, "Mas gentlemen ata ang mga guys sa Cebu." Two words: crispy pata. HaHa!

No problems with Immigration
Tita Rosalyn: "The processing for a permanent resident visa is about two months. As a special accommodation, B says he can process it without your coming to Cebu provided you can submit all the requirements. You can come to Cebu only when it is for implementation already. May crush ata si B sa 'yo!" Tita, I think he already made that clear last month when I met him. LoL.

I can learn to drive in Cebu
Cebu traffic is much tolerable than Manila. I can finally learn how to drive stick if I want to!

Tops!
No, not Top Suzara. It's the only thinking spot I've ever found in this country and I could come back whenever I want to!

I will be away from family
This is a pro and a con. I really want try to live independently...on my own terms. I want to grow up and feel the pain of being responsible for food and shelter. I can't do that when the whole clan has their eyes on me. Besides, each day I'm in Manila, I just keep thinking that it's another day of my overstaying. Not fun.

New experience
New people to meet (*ahem), new places to discover, new things to learn, new me. Yes, it's all quite scary to me, but so was this Philippines trip in the beginning, but look what I've gained! I'm young and single, I can roam freeeeeely and I should take advantage of that.


Cons:

Bisaya is not one of my two languages/dialects
Though Cebuanos speak superb English, I'm sure they like to talk in their native dialect. I don't like not knowing what's going on! And I like speaking in Tagalog!

Public transportation
There is no LRT or MRT in Cebu. It's all about jeeps and taxis. Granted that riding the LRT/MRT is a curse and a blessing at the same time. Although, Cebu is also small enough that you'll never be stuck riding public transpo for long periods of time.

I haven't seen a super pogi Cebuano
HaHa!

Cebu is "late" on some things
Aldrino's Bibingka? None. Hotshots Burgers? None. Reyes Barbecue. None. They do have Bayo though...but only two branches! Unacceptable! Not like I could afford Bayo these days, but it's always nice to just look and lust at those clothes.

I will be away from Manila
Friends are here. Family is here. Though, I have been blessed to have found a family in Cebu. The initial goal was also finding work in Manila and not Cebu. And for crying out loud, I have finally figured out the Ortigas area (I don't think I'll ever figure out Makati) but now, I have to put that aside and figure out Cebu Citaaaaaaay (say it like a beauty pageant contestant).

I don't think I'll be independent enough
With Tita Rosalyn around, I know that I'll never feel like I'm living on an entry-level Philippine salary. LoL. That's good and bad! HaHa!

There you have it, folks. Hmm, after looking at the list, it looks like the careerlife is in Cebu...but the lovelife is in Manila. Nyahahaha! Priorities, dear, priorities! ;P

9 comments:

  1. mahilig ka naman sa chinito, marami doon LOL and maybe you wont need to commute baka naman you can stay at a place that is near your work. cheaper pa ang standard of living

    Cebu is a major hub which means there are tons of flights in and out..Manila is only an hour flight away. Kung ang lovelife eh nasa Manila, madali siyang pumunta sa Cebu kung sino man siya LOL and test yun!

    Its not hard to learn Cebuano and ayaw mo you have another dialect to add your list. multi-lingual ka na.

    the best thing about Cebu for me... MANGOES!!! sweet, plump, golden yellow mangoes and their green cousins too

    ReplyDelete
  2. go with cebu. u can always come back to manila anyway. besides if they can process ur papers as fast as they promised, eh di go with that offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raissa: Hindi ako mahilig sa chinito. That's a myth. LoL. I like them tall, dark, big eyes, and high cheekbones. My love for krung-krung papas and Ken Zhu are simply exceptions to this rule. HeHe.

    Test na naman for a guy? Ni simple tests nga like ilibre ako sa dates, hindi magawa, what more if he has to spend money on an airfare to Cebu once a month? Siguradong bagsak yun! LoL.

    Kat: I'm sure may kapalit yung quick processing ng work permit ko if done in Cebu. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sis. With the way you described it, parang perfect yung Cebu. But why do I get this feeling that you'd still rather be HERE? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wait, sa previous post mo - you were so determined to get the other job. pag-isipan mo na lang mabuti ... or you could just flip a coin :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tet: Because I'm a Manila Girl at heart. Nyahaha! Mas love ko ang yuppies dito kesa sa Cebu. ;P

    Pen: Indian Twin, eh kasi nga, the other job wants me to have an ACR right this very minute. Eh may processing time nga. Both are equally great choices, though. Ang problema lang nga ngayon is obtaining my ACR so that I could work. I should've taken care of that before a lovelife kasi. LoL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes you should've LOL. teka nga ... ano ba?! lintik, i see this ancient pic na naman. sinabi nang stop using this eh. NENE ka pa dito!

    ReplyDelete
  8. stop thinking na may kapalit un who knows na they want you that bad kasi they know what ur capable of contributing to the company. be open minded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indian Twin: Hindi yan ang ayaw mo na pic; tinanggal ko na yun sa Friendster. LoL.

    Kat: Hindi. Yun sa Immigration yung may kapalit for processing my ACR quickly, hindi yung job. May crush nga sa akin yun isang lawyer sa Immigration sa Cebu. LoL.

    ReplyDelete