Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Start of Something New

I went to the gym today. *GASP.

Although, I'm on a one week trial membership only. I'm quite proud of myself for getting it. I'm proud not because I've worked up the courage to step into a gym, but because I stood firm and refused to sign up for a paid membership right away. I thank my business degree.

I knew what Pure Fitness was up to the minute I called on Saturday. They refused to talk to me about prices over the phone (unlike Gold's Gym who gave me their spiel right there and then). Fine, two can play this game so I showed up today to see how well these people got trained in sales. (On a side note, if you've ever wanted to feel dumb, try wearing a business suit and have someone give you a gym tour. That should do it.) Anyway, so I went in there to redeem my one week trial membership coupon. That was all I wanted. Did they give it to me willingly? No, just as I had suspected.

Sales 101, Lesson 1: Spend a lot of time with your customer. Afterwards, they will feel guilty about not purchasing anything so they will fork over money.

So, this guy gives me a full-out tour of the gym (I didn't ask for it), measured every single part of my body (thank God I was not attracted to this guy), tried to be chummy with me (I have enough friendsters, man!), and sat me down in a chair.

Sales 101, Lesson 2: Sitting is better than standing if you want to get what you want.

When you're sitting down, there's less blood flow in your body so you're less able to think clearly (Yawning/sleeping in class is a big indication). At this point, he opens up a binder, displaying the membership plans. There were only two, one for a whole year, and another for a month-to-month basis. I told him: I would just like to redeem the one week trial.

Sales 101, Lesson 3: Tell your customer that the prices are only for a limited time.

So, that's what he did. Why does he care if I get the best price?! It's not his problem, it's mine. Hence, he's not really caring about me, but simply just wants his commission. Again, I insisted that I only want the one week trial.

Sales 101, Lesson 4: Keep insisting.

Poor guy doesn't know that peer pressure does not work on me. I'd rather be a biatch (excuse my French) than give in to anything that I don't want to do. So, that's what I did. "I only want the free pass for a week. If you don't want to give it to me, fine. I'll just leave now." You gotta give him credit for still keeping the hope alive.

Sales 101, Lesson 5: Offer extras, freebies, your soul.

By this time, I think he has figured out that I'm a biatch (finally!) so he walks me to the front desk to give me my one week trial pass. Of course, he didn't give in easily. He said, "Well, do you have time for a work out today? I'll take you through one." Testing how far he will go to get his commission from me, I said, "Yeah, but not until later on tonight." Guy goes, "Okay, tell me what time." I said, "10 p.m." He looked down. Poor guy. He goes, "Well, how about tomorrow? What time are you available tomorrow?" I said, "Oh, I don't know yet. I won't know until tomorrow. It all depends on my mom's work schedule." Ugh, I had to lie! At this point, all I wanted for him to do was give me that darn card and spare the both of us. He finally did. Whew!

When he was escorting me to the door, he called me the wrong name (Who the hell is Regina? LoL). His sales pitch was clearly over.

Two hours later, I drove back to the gym to work out. Actually, it wasn't a work out; I still don't trust myself with one of those machines. HeHe. I attended one of the fitness classes. I feel good, baby. My limbs may be numb right now, but it's all good. Let's see what the next 7 days have in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment