Thursday, January 27, 2005

Age Difference

"You're the only reason I come into the office. You're so much fun to talk to."

L and I were having another bonding moment while we had the office to ourselves today. I swear, it's like a two-person support group. It's nice to be appreciated. It's nice to know that you somehow make someone's life easy just by being there. However, why couldn't these people who love me be boys men, or at least people my age?

L and I are twelve years apart. One of my former bosses, who's like twenty years older than me, has invited me over to her house twice in the last year. Pen was amazed that her dad actually talked to me when I was over at their house in November. Ate TJ told me over an e-mail how delighted she was to have found my website because I make her feel young. These are older people, with a spouse and kids, and bills to pay. Number of things in common with me: zero. Yet somehow they love me, they really, really love me (Pen, tell your dad to adopt me already!).

My point is that this situation is not helping me with my social life at all. My social circle nowadays is made up of people who are at least ten years older than me. Granted that yes, I don't do what most twenty-something-year-olds do: I don't drink, smoke, hang-out in bars, etc. But don't I deserve some friends that are my age? Someone please tell me what happened to my life between the time I graduated from college and now. And please tell me that there's hope, that I'll manage to find my way back to the mid-twenties crowd...somewhere...somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment