Well look what we have here. So, I'm assuming that hiphop dance is becoming more popular in Manila to warrant Nike Philippines to use it in their marketing?
Based on what I've seen on TV, I think hiphop in the Philippines is still not hiphop. I describe it is as "too much jumping" (and if I see the "Follow the Leader" dance number one more time, I think I'm going to throw up. I seriously can do the steps for the chorus now, thanks to repeated performances by the SCQ contestants!). The Manoeuvres and Hotlegs have it. I don't think the Streetboys have it, but Jhong Hilario and Spencer Reyes do. John Pratts and Maja Salvador are only as good as their respective choreographers. If only I could bring Dancing King to Manila, he would probably be the most popular guy in town (not to mention blow the competition away on Stardance, which sucks in my opinion...can't we just bring back Keep on Dancing?).
In 2002, it was only Powerdance who was offering hiphop classes and it was so expensive that I didn't even think twice about passing it up. Hopefully, hiphop won't be a conyo hobby because I'd like to see the style blow up and be more mainstream for the masses. It sure would do the collegiate cheerdance competitions some good.
So please, put away those Von Dutch trucker hats for now (actually, burn them!) and work on the choreography and attitude instead. Werk it.
And speaking of hiphop, when I said I wanted to do something that I love after 5 p.m., I meant for that to be dancing. Can someone explain to me why I have two freelance graphic design projects to work on? Is God telling me something again? ;P
No comments:
Post a Comment