Tuesday, February 1, 2005

The Other Job

Me: I got the job.
You: JET?
Me: No, not JET.
You: Weren't you talking about JET yesterday and the day before?
Me: Yeah, but there was another job.
You: EPIK?
Me: No, not EPIK.
You: What the heck is this job then?!

If you lived in Seattle, that's what our conversation would've been like today. Yes, it's a good thing you guys don't live in Seattle near me; I tend to confuse others with my confusion about my life. Call it my charm. ;P

Anyway, I got the job. I meant to spill the beans here on Friday, but I didn't want to jinx it. There's still potential to jinx this whole situation since "I'm hired, but not yet," but let me live on the edge just for one moment. HeHe.

I applied for a Marketing Specialist-Asia position. This was one of the two job interviews I had last week. Coming out of the 1-hour-and-10-minute interview, I was salivating over the position. I wanted it and I knew I had a good chance in getting it. Today, I was notified that "I'm hired, but not yet." Since this is another government job, I have to deal with bureaucracy. There will be a two-week wait for my clearance. So we shall all sit and wait. In the meantime, let me explain the job:
  • Travel to Asia: Japan
  • Travel to Asia: China
  • Travel to Asia: Hong Kong
Okay, okay, so there's more to that, but that's what made me want this job. There will be at least four tradeshows in Asia a year, a couple of domestic travel, and the opportunity to also travel to Europe to see what's going on over there. I'll have full benefits (so my mom will be satisfied with that!) and my salary will be much higher than what I'm currently earning (read: I can finally move out!). Is this my dream job? It certainly has potential.

The downside: I'll still be living in Seattle. It will be more stressful as I will have more responsibilities including dealing with the media (domestically and internationally). Okay, fine, the only real downside is that I will still be living in Seattle.

So kids, what's the verdict? To JET or not to JET (and take this position instead)?

No comments:

Post a Comment