I will not stay up until 2 a.m. to talk to Pen again. I will not stay up until 2 a.m. to talk to Pen again. I will not stay up until 2 a.m. to talk to Pen again. Thou shall be in bed by midnight forever and ever and ever.
Anyway, I needed therapy because of what happened yesterday. After 24 hours, I think I'm in a better state to talk about it in a civilized manner.
I’d like to think that I’m open-minded. I understand that we’re all different and that we have our own ways of doing things. Yet, time and time again, Filipinos have a way of showing me that I’m not open-minded enough. Let me give you a timeline:
1:30 - I arrived at a TV station
1:40 - HR Girl asks me if I had a copy of my resume. I said no. She said to fill out an application form
2:00 - I turned in a completed application form
3:00 - I was still staring at the walls unattended
3:45 - After two whole hours, I was led inside to take a psychological test
4:05 - I finished answering 156 questions; I was led outside again
4:20 - HR Girl finally gives me the time of day
4:40 - "I will call you"
First of all, I didn't know that I had to bring a copy of my resume. American Girl thought that if a company asked her for an interview, then they already had a copy of her resume. Okay, I learned my lesson.
Second, let's talk about the application form. Most notable "what the hell are these questions for?": blood type, height, weight, Pag-ibig number, sketch your residential address (as in, draw!), and two 50-word essay questions on the back. All together now, "The hell?!"
Third, I was told that my interview was at 2 p.m. I even confirmed it via text the day before. Why the hell did I spend two hours staring at the walls?! I understand Filipino Time, but this was in a professional setting! Do we not care about the company image?
Fourth, why did I have to take a test before I got some lip service? Why are you using a test booklet from 1975? Why did it have questions about pre-marital s3x and falling in love?
Fifth, the interview questions were just traumatizing: "What are your parents' and siblings' occupations?", "Do you have a boyfriend here or in the States?", "Why didn't you major in 'Mass Com'?", blah, blah, blah...
If the Philippine corporate world wants to be like this, then okay, I'm willing to submit to it regardless of how "old school" their practices may be. What I'm pissed about is the two hours of wasted time. It’s one thing to make me wait; it’s also another thing to make me take a test for nothing. If you don’t think your time is worthy, I think your time and mine are.
For the record, I’m here because I want to. I traded my whole life to be here in the Philippines because dammit, I love this country and its people (itayo ako ng monumento, please!). Don’t doubt my sincerity when I say that I’m here to stay and work my butt off. Yes, I didn’t major in Communications (because we don't have "Mass Com" in the U.S.), but I’d like to think that I have the skills to do well in this field. I’m here because I’m passionate about the work that I'm trying to get and I think that’s worth more than getting any entry-level “Mass Com” graduate who is applying anywhere just to earn a living (in my very biased opinion, of course).
If you work in Human Resources in the Philippines, care to enlighten us all? I'd like to understand your processes. Please make me understand your ways. Please, oh, please!
No comments:
Post a Comment